Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Solo and Small Firm section (SSF), you can enjoy a multitude of benefits:
Free or Low-Cost Continuing Legal Education Courses
As solo and small firm attorneys, we understand how closely you need to watch your budget. Therefore, we actively sponsor and co-sponsor many free or low-cost Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses. These CLEs range from one-hour, lunchtime CLEs to full-day CLEs on topics that are responsive to your needs.
The Legal Lunchbox Series
Our most popular program, the Legal Lunchbox Series, was introduced last year and provides one-hour CLEs that are free to members. These CLEs can be attended in-person or via webinar. Non-members can pay $19.00 USD, which includes membership in the SSF.
Past CLE topics include:
- “Thinking Like a Judgment Creditor: How to Maximize Your Chances of Getting Paid”
- “Alternative Fees/Flat Fees”
- “Organizing Your Office and Communications for the New Year”
- “Washington Practice 101: Civil Litigation Basics”
- “Bankruptcy for the Non-Bankruptcy Attorney”
- “Diversify for Success” How Omni-Channel Marketing Reaches Your Legal Audience”
- “What If I Get Hit By a Bus? How to Protect Your Clients and Practice If the Worst Happens”
- “Lawyers and the ADA”
- “Before You Hire Your First (or Next) Employee”
The 2016 Solo and Small Firm Conference
This year, SSF is partnering with the Oregon State Bar to put on its first annual Solo and Small Firm Conference, which will be held at The Riverhouse on the Deschutes in Bend, Oregon on July 7–8, 2016. Please stay tuned for more details!
Our section initiated the use of the Listserv in the OSB, and ours remains the best today. The Listserv allows you to tap into the collective and invaluable wisdom of our membership. It provides an unparalleled resource for all our members to receive answers to questions, trade forms, and to get referrals and network for clients. And the topics that are covered are broad—unlike other sections with Listserv that only cover one area of the law, ours covers a vast array of topics that impact solos and small firms.
Solo and small firm practitioners often lack the networking opportunities that those in larger firms possess. SSF provides just that: ranging from after-work social hours to family-friendly weekend activities.
Interested? Great! You can register in-person at any SSF event.